Madrona Road Challenge
Our guild is participating in the Madrona Road Challenge, and I was fortunate to be one of the participants from our guild. I had a lot of ideas and wanted to do something a little outside of my wheelhouse. I finally settled on doing a different design for each block. I generally like things ordered and balanced, so this was a fun exercise for me. I drew a sketch and started cutting. I wasn’t even sure I would have enough fabric to finish, but I decided to just kind of go for it.
Some of the blocks turned out really well and I had to re-do a few of the blocks. But in the end, I am pretty happy with the results. I added a Kona blue color to two of the blocks. (I ran out of fabric after the do-overs, and I wanted to add a little more contrast/variety.) At first I thought I would keep the blocks all together:
But I wasn’t in love with it, so I decided to kind of “float” them in Kona White. I was happier with that look. I love the clean, crispness of white. The backing and binding fabric were Madrona Road prints from my stash. I really love this collection!
I quilted with straight lines, one inch apart. I washed it last night, and I love the crinkly goodness. I added the corner pieces at the last minute – I have seen this idea before and really liked it. The quilt ended up about 37″ x 37″.
The back is one of my favorite prints from the collection. :-) And a close-up of the quilting, pre-washing: